Friday, April 1, 2016

diy desk

  We are still slowly working on furnishing and putting personal touches in the house. I cant believe next month we will have been here a year! But since most of that year has been having Cooper and Tony finishing up school, its been a slow process.

 Our latest additions have been a new desk for the office and some art in the family room. the old desk we had was a cheap one for target that had some wear and tear on it. It served it purpose but it now sits in the office garage sale area and a new one in its place. I looked around online at various stores and craigslist for what I wanted but came up short. We have lots of papers from my birth class teaching materials, Tony's school stuff and various house/ grown up stuff, so storage was a must for all that. The only ones that I found that worked were 500 plus dollars. Out of the budget. So a diy it was. . It was so simple and was done in a weekend and for much cheaper than $500.

We started with 2 black filing cabinets from walmart - $40
a plank of wood from Home Depot - $25
a couple of cans of spray paint - $15
stain and poly for the plank - $10

spray paint cabinets, stain and poly the wood, lay wood on top of cabinets and boom, you have yourself a desk!

We love it and for under $100 you cant beat it :)


As you see my animals dressed as people calendar hangs proudly above the new desk :)

The art that we added to the living room was another DIY venture. I saw some paintings at places like TJMaxx and Target that I liked but for $50 or so I thought "hey I can do that" So on giant canvas with my 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon and some paints that go with my color scheme I went to work. Im pretty happy with the result.


xoxo
Ashlea

No comments:

Post a Comment